To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most significant tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Additional, additional, learn all about it — Sheryl Sandberg stunned us this afternoon and stated she was stepping down as Meta COO. We’re nonetheless determining the main points, so keep tuned for extra. And oh Hai! Or quite, Ohio — extra particularly, Columbus, Ohio. Immediately, we’re doing our Metropolis Highlight, and we’ve been exploring who’s constructing in Columbus, and the way it turned the tech hub of the Midwest. We additionally dove into why Intel selected town to construct its $20 billion manufacturing services. — Haje and Christine
The TechCrunch Prime 3
- Buick going full EV: In the event you are into electrical autos, you’ll love as we speak’s Each day Crunch. First up is Buick, which is filled with surprises as we speak — not solely did the corporate say it’s transitioning to electrical autos solely, however after a number of years of specializing in SUVs, Buick goes again to its coupe and sedan roots. The Wildcat appears to be like like a candy experience. If it wasn’t already evident, the U.S. is getting extra critical about EVs, per Tim. Talking of a candy experience, the Eighties are certainly again in fashion. Jaclyn additionally wrote in regards to the recent DeLorean, which is being reimagined as an electrical automobile. Sorry, no flux capacitor on this one, however fortunately you gained’t want the plutonium or the 1.21 gigawatts.
- Tiger will get its claws into Slice: Getting a checking account will be simple; getting credit score, not a lot. Slice is an Indian fintech firm working to vary that and is now buoyed by a recent Tiger International–led $50 million spherical that Manish studies has the corporate in unicorn territory. Slice is bringing credit score to the plenty in that nation by bringing know-how to the underwriting course of and is issuing a whole lot of 1000’s of playing cards per 30 days, placing it at the highest of its recreation within the South Asian market.
- A “Netflix for training”: Spain-based Odilo has a catalog of practically 4 million academic gadgets and as we speak introduced in $64 million to maintain hidden. No, actually, as Ingrid writes, the “white-labelness” of the corporate means companies can construct their very own custom-made e-learning choices, however clients could solely see the training portal it’s powering because the front-facing model, like, ahem, Google, which we speak about so much as we speak within the Huge Tech Inc. part.
Startups and VC
Each time I clarify what a SPAC is to somebody, they go, “Wait, how is that authorized?” It looks as if some of us in authorities agree, Connie studies, with Sen. Elizabeth Warren planning a recent invoice to tame the wild, wild west a bit. The legislation could also be a bit late — curiosity was on the wane already, when the SEC warned in March final yr that SPACs weren’t accounting appropriately for investor incentives known as warrants.
The opposite factor we wish to rejoice is irreverence and pleasure. Haje wanted wafting with palm fronds after getting a bit enthusiastic about a recent photo-forward e-book about electronics, and Amanda misplaced her marbles over a pair of recent Pokémon, together with one known as Lechonk.
Different issues to get enthusiastic about:
- Eliminating plastic, very implausible, not even being sarcastic: Kate studies how plastic upcycling startup Novoloop raises $10 million to speed up commercialization.
- Singing a tune of chaos: Frederic studies that software safety testing platform Code Intelligence raises $12 million to inject a load of rubbish inputs into your apps. Additionally, this was the day we discovered about fuzzing. Fascinating!
- Web of downswings: IoT has turn into one among the highest vectors of hacker assaults, and Ordr simply raised $40 million to observe the 35 billion gadgets on-line, Kyle studies.
- The workplace doorways have been left unlocked: China-backed hackers are exploiting an unpatched zero-day vulnerability to execute malicious code remotely on Home windows methods, Carly studies.
- I would like to re-ride my e-bicycle: French startup Upway raised a $25 million spherical. Romain studies the corporate sells secondhand refurbished electrical bikes.
- In the event you fund it, they are going to construct: Constrafor is a SaaS development procurement platform with embedded financing. It simply raised $106 million, Christine studies.
- Strike an expose: Freelance photographers can use Smiler to roam round occasions, promoting occasion images, enabling clients to purchase images on the spot or later on-line, Mike studies.
Pricey Sophie: How will we qualify for every of the O-1A standards?
Our startup might be sponsoring my co-founders and me for O-1A visas.
How will we qualify for every of the O-1A standards?
— Extraordinary Entrepreneur
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You possibly can join right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
We promised above, and now we’re delivering the entire scrumptious Google-ly goodness. Let’s begin with some information that can make you smile — Google is increasing its program geared toward offering job readiness and digital abilities for previously incarcerated folks. The corporate may even make investments $4 million in lowering limitations for these people to turn into gainfully employed. Subsequent is a report displaying that Chrome nonetheless edges out Apple’s Safari for customers, although Apple ought to nonetheless rejoice reaching 1 billion customers. To not be undone by:
Not a lot of a shock with this subsequent report, however it appears the U.Okay.’s recent social media watchdog group Ofcom has discovered that social media giants usually are not taking girls’s security severely. Its research of some 6,000 folks discovered that though girls spend a bit extra time than males on-line, they nonetheless don’t really feel like they will specific their opinions as freely as their male counterparts. In flip, Ofcom is urging social media corporations to do one thing about it, specifically make their platforms extra welcoming.
Cryptocurrency has not been feeling the love recently, what with the entire TerraUSD factor, amongst others, and as we speak the sector takes one other hit as one among its personal is arrested. Formal costs have been made in opposition to former OpenSea head of product Nate Chastain for “wire fraud and cash laundering in reference to a scheme to commit insider buying and selling.” Chastain was fired from his job final yr after being accused of “front-running purchases of NFT collections that he knew have been about to be featured prominently on the homepage of OpenSea.”
Please get pleasure from these different morsels: